Heavy rains can produce flooding
The county's Department of Emergency Services has put together these safety tips on what to do if flooding should occur:
- Learn the safest route from your home or business to high, safe ground should you have to leave in a hurry. During major rain storms, many of Westchester's parkways and roadways can become flooded. Be sure to observe flood safety rules; they could save your life.
- Develop an emergency plan and identify a meeting place if family members become separated. Know what to do and when to do it.
- Prepare and have readily available a Go Bag.
- Make an itemized list of all valuables including furnishings, clothing, and other personal property. If possible, take photos of your items. Keep the list in a safe place.
- Plan what to do with your pets.
- Keep your automobile fueled. If electric power is cut off, gasoline stations may not be able to pump fuel for several days. Have a small kit of disaster supplies in the trunk of your car.
- Find out how many feet your property is above and below possible flood levels. When predicted flood levels are broadcast, you can determine if you may be flooded.
- Have emergency waterproofing supplies on hand, including sandbags, plywood, plastic sheeting and lumber.