When severe weather threatens Westchester, stay informed through weather updates either on the radio, TV or online with the National Weather Service. When power is lost be prepared with a battery-operated radio or crank radio. It's important to stay tuned to important weather updates and in the event an evacuation of your neighborhood is announced.
County and State traffic conditions
You may want to check on major highway conditions across the county by visiting www.511ny.org. This site provides reports on roads across the county as well as state-wide. It details closures, incidents and other helpful traffic and transit conditions.
Important phone numbers
Jot down, and keep in a handy place, important phone numbers well before you lose power or a serious storm arises. Here are some phone numbers you may want to have at your fingertips:
- First and foremost --Do not call 911 for non-emergencies
- An alternative contact number is United Way's 211 HelpLine
- ConEd power outage or gas and electrical service problems: (800) 75-CONED
- NYSEG electricity power outage: (800) 572-1131 (Check outages in your area.)
- NYSEG natural gas power outage : (800) 572-1121
- County Parkways: Call the county police at (914) 864-7700 for the latest county parkway conditions
- Local road conditions: Call your local police or highway department. Look up the numbers now and add them to you list.
- Thruway: (800)-THRUWAY for updated NY state thruway information
- Bee-Line Buses: (914) 813-7777 for bus service status or (914) 995-7272 and press 2 at the prompt, for paratransit status
- Airline arrivals: Call the carrier directly or for real-time flight information go to the Westchester County Airport Web site
- Metro-North Railroad: (800) METRO INFO
- School closings and delays: WFAS storm center, News 12 or WCBS radio
- No heat or no hot water in rental apartments: Call your local building department or, during after hours, the local police department.